Squeaky floorboards and banging cabinet doors are nothing to lose sleep over. But if you have a little free time and know-how, you can fix these and other minor annoyances with minimal investment.
- Creaky wood floors — Try sprinkling baby powder between the joints. If that doesn’t do the trick, there are other DIY solutions available.
- Banging cabinets — If your kitchen cabinets bang closed every time you reach for a mug or a plate, your hinges might be to blame. If you can’t replace the hinges, try adding adhesive rubber pads where the door hits the frame.
- Squeaky doors — This is most often caused by metal-on-metal friction at the hinges. A spray of penetrating oil may fix the problem with little effort. In stubborn cases, you may have to take the door down and scrub the hinges, pin and barrel before applying the oil or silicone spray.
- Running toilets — In addition to wasting water, running toilets are noisy and annoying. Fortunately, in most cases, it’s an easy fix, requiring little more than a chain adjustment or flapper replacement.
- Phantom smells — Are you dealing with a musty basement or a kitchen that smells like food gone bad? Household odors are usually a simple fix if you can pinpoint and remove or clean the source of the smell.
- Whistling showerhead — This noise usually stems from a worn-out part that can be replaced. After all, if anyone should be whistling in the bath, it’s you, not your showerhead.
- Bubbling water heater — This is often the result of sediment buildup inside the heater and can be remedied by flushing the tank.
Every home has its annoying kinks, but many of them can be corrected with a little knowledge and handiwork.